Planning

 

 Source : Unsplash


This weeks reading task was focusing on planning approaches to our years Game Design book. My topic for a subchapter within the book was "Story Structure", an important part in any game development. I was interested in the structure of storytelling games and wanted to learn more, and pass any insight or findings onto other students in a clear and understandable way, hence choosing this as my book topic. This subchapter will be included in "Game Stories 1" chapter. 

From here I began my search strategy, following guidelines on our Multimedia Website as a starting point in researching my chosen topic. Following along the 8-9 step structure, which were as follows;

  1. Highlight keywords in my research topic 
  • The keywords within my chapter title is the whole name - "Story Structure".
  1. Identify synonyms or other words that can be used to search for the same information.
  • Synonyms for Story I found that may be useful were : Narrative, Chronicle, Account, Fiction
  • Synonyms for Structure were : Frame, Fabric, Design, Framework, Organisation
  1. Write search strings using the keywords.
  • Story Structure AND Gaming
  • Narrative Structure AND Gaming
  • Game AND Fiction
  • Game Fabric
  1. Identify relevant databases to search for sources by meeting with a reference librarian or reading subject guides.
  • TU Dublin Blanchardstown Library
  • Google Scholar
  • Websites / Webpages
  1. Search for other literature reviews on your topic to highlight seminal sources.
Articles from the web:
Google Scholar pieces:

In addition to this planning phase, our class attended a Library Session from Lindsay, apart of the library here in Blanchardstown. It was informative and interesting to listen to, I learnt about Harvard referencing, how to use the library system, reading literature etc. It was a great help in starting the planning phase. 


Comments

  1. Hey Tara,

    Welcome to Semester 2, I hope you're getting into the run of things okay! It's great to see you have a good strategy in place to get started on your project. It can be daunting when first getting started, especially when you adopt such an alien research technique like the research matrix. I look forward to keeping up with your blog and progress over the course of the semester, take care!

    Kyle :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts